Gas prices seem to be steadily rising, as many of our clients trading in their SUVs and trucks for more fuel-efficient vehicles. However, there are many steps to take before taking the plunge and letting go of your beloved SUV or truck. You can even take these measures with your more fuel-efficient sedan and find yourself saving exponentially next time you need to fill up.
Luckily for us, it is not that difficult to go farther on a gallon of gas. Here are the best ways to improve fuel mileage:
- Take a look at your gas cap, or have the qualified technicians at Convoy Auto Repair inspect your gas gap. 17% of all vehicles on the road have broken or missing gas caps. Broken or completely missing gas caps negatively impact your gas mileage and are harmful to the environment by letting harmful fumes escape into the atmosphere.
- Make sure your vehicle's front-end alignment is in tip-top shape. Winter wreaks havoc on our vehicles, and we are in the midst of this season. Winter is notorious for potholes, and potholes can throw off your vehicle's alignment. A vehicle that is misaligned causes your engine to work that much harder. Our team can perform a wheel alignment to get you back on track.
- Think about your tires. Improperly inflated tires lead to uneven and/or premature tread wear and can result in a 2.8% decrease in premature tread wear.
- Reducing weight in your vehicle is one of the easiest ways to boost fuel economy. Start by cleaning out your vehicle's trunk, and you will reap the benefits next time you need to fill it up.
- Preventative maintenance is critical. If your vehicle is not serviced correctly, it is getting around 4% fewer miles per gallon than it should be. Our technicians at Convoy Auto Repair can perform essential maintenance to ensure each of your vehicle's components is performing in tip-top shape. This way, you can save money down the road for major repairs and at the gas station.
Convoy Auto Repair is here to help in any way we can, including helping you save at the gas pump and overall improve fuel mileage. Schedule an appointment today. We are located at 3909 Convoy Street, San Diego, CA 92111, and look forward to seeing you soon.