College may be different for some this year, but that doesn’t necessarily mean your college student won’t be completing the critical milestone of being an adult -- owning their first car. Before you let your college student take off, we recommend reminding them of the responsibilities of owning a vehicle. The team at Convoy Auto Repair has compiled a few reminders for first-time car owners. Here is what every college student needs to know about owning a car:
- Study up on that owner’s manual. We recognize that college students already have so much to study, but add one more book to your reading list. The owner’s manual has tons of valuable information, including your car’s ideal maintenance schedule, appropriate fuel grade, and tire pressure.
- Spend some time researching your insurance options. Insurance companies will provide different quotes for the same car and driver, so it pays off in the long-run to find the best price. You can easily compare car insurance quotes online from the comfort of your own home.
- Keep your receipts. We recommend putting together a folder of all your receipts, including preventative maintenance and major repairs. If you ever have to trade-in or sell your vehicle, it will come in handy to have these receipts ready to go.
- Don’t forget about the car washes. Regular car washes are just for appearances, even though it is nice to drive around in a freshly washed vehicle. However, dirt and debris can accumulate on your vehicle and eat away your paint sealer. Paint sealer protects your vehicle’s body from rust and corrosion. You can think of car washes as preventative maintenance for your vehicle’s exterior.
- Preventative maintenance will protect your investment. Your vehicle is one of the most important investments you make in your adult life. Think of how much you rely on your car! Routine preventative maintenance prolongs your vehicle's safety, driveability, and longevity, saving you time and money down the road.
Having a car while in college may seem daunting, but it doesn’t have to be, especially if you follow these five tips. The team at Convoy Auto Repair is here to help you stay on track with your preventative maintenance. You can worry about your studies, and our technicians will take care of your vehicle. Schedule an appointment today. We are located at 3909 Convoy Street, San Diego, CA 92111, and look forward to seeing you soon.