The temperatures are rising, flowers are beginning to bloom, and the sun is starting to shine. We all know what this means: spring is here, and summer is just around the corner. If you are like us at Convoy Auto Repair, we love road trips, and we enjoy them even more, we have our trusty sidekick with us, our beloved pup. It is the best of both worlds: out on the open road with two of our favorites, our vehicle, and our dog.
Before we embark on any road trip with our pup in the warmer months, it is essential to make sure we are prepared. Driving with our furry friends may present some challenges if we don’t take the time to go over and review safety tips. Fortunately, the team at Convoy Auto Repair has put together five of the essential tips for traveling with your trusty sidekick, your dog:
- Be mindful of any pet food you are bringing with you on your trip. Pet food is at risk of both spilling and spoiling, neither of which we want to deal with!
- Water, water, and more water! Make sure your pet remains hydrated. There are many doggie-friendly water bowls out there that are perfect for traveling.
- An occasional sweet treat is perfectly fine. If you stop for an ice cream cone, it is alright for your pup to enjoy a small vanilla cone. When it comes to your pet, moderation is key.
- Did you know that dogs can get car sick too? It’s true. Dogs can get motion sickness just like us, and just like how we can take motion sickness medication; your pup can get too. Take your dog for a test drive, watching for any signs of them acting sick, and then talk to your vet about prescribing motion sickness medicine.
- Take your time, and take some breaks. You may be feeling a little cramped, but just imagine how your pup feels. During your drive, schedule in some time for a couple of walks, even around the parking lot a few times can help with any restlessness.
We don’t want you or your trusty sidekick to deal with surprises on your road trip, whether that means a thirsty dog or a broken down vehicle. At Convoy Auto Repair, we can help with the vehicle part, as our technicians can perform a thorough inspection and ensure you are good to go. Schedule an appointment today with the team Convoy Auto Repair in San Diego. We are located at 3909 Convoy Street, San Diego, CA 92111 and look forward to seeing you and your furry friend soon!