Photo byAdrian Dascal onUnsplash
Our cars are one of the more expensive assets that we own as American citizens; keeping them in tip-top condition will keep their value as high as possible! However, our daily lives can get in the way, keeping us busy with work, family, and daily tasks. Here are some things to look out for as you are going about your day. We put together a list of 10 signs your vehicle needs TLC ASAP!
1. Squealing or Grinding Noises - As our brakes wear and break down over time, they can produce squealing and grinding noises that lead to bigger problems. Your brakes are essential to keeping you and your family safe, so don't overlook this issue!
2. Warning Lights - Lights are often the earliest sign of a potentially more significant problem. Never ignore your warning lights; when they appear, make sure you address the specific warning light and bring your vehicle in to get examined.
3. Bad Smells - Musty smells can be a sign of mold growth in your air conditioning system. Take some time to change your filters and consider running an air cleaning cycle!
4. Fading Lights - This could be a sign that your alternator is failing to perform its duties; or that your battery is dying. Make sure you check this soon; so you don't end up stuck in the middle of nowhere.
5. Failure to Start - Does it take a couple of turns to get your vehicle started? You might want to consider having your vehicle examined; you could have an issue with your starter.
6. Leaking Fluids - Water drops and condensation are normal, especially during the summer months, as we use our air conditioner more often. However, if you notice fluid leakage that is constant, especially if it's darker or has a unique smell, you want to take care of that right away. You might have an oil leak or a coolant leak, both of which can cause major issues!
7. Smoke & Discharge - If you see any smoke or other fumes coming from your vehicle, you should stop immediately and address the situation. It might just be steam on a really cold day, but you want to make sure it isn't something more serious.
8. Gas Consumption - Does it seem like your vehicle is sucking down gas faster than you can fill it up?! This is a sign that your vehicle isn't performing at top efficiency levels, or maybe there is a leak going unnoticed. This is a great time to give your vehicle some TLC!
9. Droopy Tires - Do your tires look bloated or droopy? Tires require the correct amount of pressure to function optimally; check your tire pressure at a local gas station and fill them to the appropriate PSI.
10. Is it Filthy - This one might seem obvious, but our busy lives keep us from taking care of our assets the way we should. A clean and well-cared-for vehicle is sure to perform better than a neglected one.
Taking care of the basic functions of your vehicle can help you prevent a larger, and more importantly, expensive problem in the future. Something as simple as making sure your tire pressure is correct, topping off fluids, and regularly cleaning and caring for your vehicle can make a world of difference. We know how busy life can get, but it gets even harder if our vehicle breaks down, haha! Make sure to take your vehicle to a qualified Auto Repair Center if you have any questions or concerns regarding your vehicle.
Do you need help giving your vehicle the TLC that it deserves? If so, visit Convoy Auto Repair Center in San Diego, CA! Schedule an appointment today, and our ASE-Certified Auto Technicians will get your vehicle show-ready again! We are located at 3909 Convoy Street, San Diego, CA 92111; stop on by; we are excited to meet you!