San Diego is a pretty great place to live. We have the beaches, the beautiful weather, and we have even been named one of the best cities in the U.S. for craft beer! But did you also know that we have a ton of awesome auto events throughout the year? Here is our list of the top 5 annual automotive events in San Diego.
Advance Auto Parts Monster Jam
- What’s better than watching huge trucks smash things? Watch as famous monster trucks like Grave Digger and Bad to the Bone face off in two different forms of competition - stadium racing and freestyle. As always, Monster Jam will be held at Qualcomm Stadium, and this year, it will on on Saturday, January 21st. Ticket prices range from $90 for a Total Access pass to $12 for the Super Value Seats.
Big 3 Parts Exchange
- This event has been going on for over 45 years now, celebrating their 46th year in 2012. The antique and collector car parts exchange and swap meet will take place at Qualcomm Stadium on February 24th, 25th and 26th. People come from all over the country to this exchange, which is by far, the largest old car event held in the San Diego area. The first ever parts exchange took place in the parking lot at the College Grove Shopping Center in the spring of 1966. Admission is free, though there is a stadium parking fee if you wish to park at Qualcomm. The hours of the event are noon to 4pm on Friday, 8am to 4pm on Saturday, and 8am to noon on Sunday. The “Big 3” is made up of The Antique Automobile Club of America
, Horseless Carriage Club of America
, and The Early Ford V8 Club of America
Del Mar Good Guys Nationals
- This event is held twice a year, once in the spring and once in the fall. This year, the spring dates are March 30th, 31st and April 1st, and the fall dates are November 23rd, 24th and 25th. The Good Guys Nationals is held at the Del Mar Fairgrounds
and features over 2,000 hot rods, customs, and classic cars through 1972, vendors and exhibitors, and a swap meet with cars for sale. Admission prices range from $18 for general admission to free for kids age 6 and under; parking costs an additional $9 as well.
Fifth Avenue Auto Showcase
- 2012 marks the 4th annual Fifth Avenue Showcase on October 14th. This event gives attendees the opportunity to get up close and personal with some of the most iconic automobiles in history. The Keating Hotel
presents the event, which features over 150 high performance automobiles including traditional classics, as well as modern luxury vehicles. Don’t miss this awesome, free event which tales over the Gaslamp Quarter on Fifth Avenue from K Street to E Street from 11am - 4pm.
Free Tuesdays at the San Diego Automotive Museum
- No this isn’t just a great annual event, it’s a great MONTHLY event! On the fourth Tuesday of every month, San Diego residents are admitted to the museum free of charge as long as they have a proper ID with them. This is the museum’s way of thanking their patrons who have helped the museum to grow over the years. Images: Izod Center, Big 3 Parts Exchange, Classic Trucks, San Diego Directory, SD Auto Museum